Mapping of impervious surfaces with the use of remote sensing imagery: Support Vector Machines classification and GIS-based approach
More details
Hide details
Warsaw University of Technology, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Al. Armii Ludowej 16,00-637 Warsaw, Poland
Universitat Politccnica de Valcncia, Department of Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence,46980 Paterna (Valencia), Spain
University of Granada, Faculty of Economics and Business Sciences, Campus Cartuja, 18071Granada, Spain
Submission date: 2023-02-08
Final revision date: 2023-05-29
Acceptance date: 2023-05-30
Publication date: 2023-09-18
Archives of Civil Engineering 2023;3(3):129-146
This study focuses on the problem of mapping impervious surfaces in urban areas and aims to use remote sensing data and orthophotos to accurately classify and map these surfaces. Impervious surface indices and green space assessments are widely used in land use and urban planning to evaluate the urban environment. Local governments also rely on impervious surface mapping to calculate stormwater fees and effectively manage stormwater runoff. However, accurately determining the size of impervious surfaces is a significant challenge. This study proposes the use of the Support Vector Machines (SVM) method, a pattern recognition approach that is increasingly used in solving engineering problems, to classify impervious surfaces. The research results demonstrate the effectiveness of the SVM method in accurately estimating impervious surfaces, as evidenced by a high overall accuracy of over 90% (indicated by the Cohen’s Kappa coefficient). A case study of the “Parkowo-Lesne” housing estate in Warsaw, which covers an area of 200,000 m², shows the successful application of the method. In practice, the remote sensing imagery and SVM method allowed accurate calculation of the area of the surface classes studied. The permeable surface represented about 67.4% of the total complex and the impervious surface corresponded to the remaining 32.6%. These results have implications for stormwater management, pollutant control, flood control, emergency management, and the establishment of stormwater fees for individual properties. The use of remote sensing data and the SVM method provides a valuable approach for mapping impervious surfaces and improving urban land use management.
Journals System - logo
Scroll to top